|Editions | myCNN | Video | Audio | Headline News Brief | Feedback||
Elian Gonzalez Case: Miami Family Supporters Not Hopeful Ahead of Supreme Court DecisionAired June 28, 2000 - 11:53 a.m. ET
THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.
DARYN KAGAN, CNN ANCHOR: We're now bringing you the latest on what could be happening to Elian Gonzalez today. The hour that we're looking towards is 4:00 p.m. Eastern. This would be the time when the stay that keeps him here in the U.S. would run out. All eyes today are on the Supreme Court. We have yet to hear word out of the supreme court if they will take the case or if they will just let the time -- the timeline -- the deadline, actually, just expire, which would allow Elian Gonzalez, his father, his step-mother, his half-brother and all the children who have been sent from Cuba to keep him company during this time -- would allow them to get on a chartered plane at Dulles Airport in Washington and head back to Cuba.
Once again, we are awaiting word on whether or not the Supreme Court will rule on this. So far, what we've seen happen -- the last court stop was the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals here in Atlanta -- a three-court -- a three-judge panel had rejected the Miami relative's request that they keep Elian here in the country and give him a political asylum hearing. And then the relatives appealed that and asked the full 12-judge panel to look at the case. They rejected that and that's how we got as far to the Supreme Court.
We have correspondents covering this from Washington, in Miami, and also Havana. Right now we want to bring in -- who are we bringing in?
No, OK. We have our -- Bob Franken is standing by in Washington, D.C. He is at the home where Juan Miguel Gonzalez has been staying with Elian and the rest of their family. We also have Mark Potter in Miami Beach -- in Little Havana, and then we also have folks like John Zarrella in Havana. All up and down the East Coast and into Cuba they are awaiting word to see what happens.
Are we going somewhere?
OK, what we are looking for today, the relatives had specifically asked Justice Anthony Kennedy to block Elian's departure so that they could go ahead and have the full Supreme Court address this issue. So far, we haven't heard from Justice Anthony Kennedy, nor have we heard from anybody on the Supreme Court. They could go ahead and give a stay and keep Elian here, or they could just let the timeline run out.
It has been a very busy day at the Supreme Court. So far, we have heard rulings on cases that affect abortion rights, that affect the gay -- a gay Boy Scout leader, and also we are -- we are also awaiting another verdict on another abortion case.
I believe we have Mark Potter standing by in Miami.
So, Mark, what do you have from there?
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Go ahead and do your interview.
KAGAN: No we don't have Mark Potter ready.
OK, to review once again, we've been watching Elian Gonzalez's case since November, and so has Mark Potter. And now I do believe Mark Potter is ready.
Mark, there you are. You're in front of the Miami Relatives' home in Little Havana. What's the mood there as they await any word out of the Supreme Court.
MARK POTTER, CNN CORRESPONDENT: Well, I apologize for not being in front of the camera a moment ago. I was finding that out. I was talking to a couple of the political activists here who are saying that the mood is -- there is anticipation, everybody watching Washington very closely. But there is a sense of resignation in this community that things are not going well, that the court will not support the family. And there's a prediction that this is going to be a very bad day.
Let me see if I can get one of the leaders to come join me right here at this moment.
Thank you for your time, Jose Basulto of Brothers To The Rescue. What are you expecting from the court, and how do you think the community will react?
JOSE BASULTO, BROTHERS TO THE RESCUE: Well, I really can't tell what is going to happen. But the community, I believe, is calm, and I believe the response of the community will be at election time. Come November, all work and pain with no promise.
What I can say right now that I know, news I know, I talked with people of Judicial Watch and they told me that they had filed a petition to Judge Moore to reconsider his decision based on the fact that it had been taken on information that was fraudulent.
POTTER: But you don't have much hope for the Supreme Court, realistically?
BASULTO: No, realistically I don't have it. I expect something which will be negative to us, and we will just have to cope with it...
POTTER: Thank you for your time. We got to go. I appreciate it. Thank you very much.
That's the mood here: not much hope.
Daryn, back to you.
KAGAN: All right, Mark Potter, thanks for pulling that live shot together for us on last minute's notice. We appreciate it.
TO ORDER A VIDEO OF THIS TRANSCRIPT, PLEASE CALL 800-CNN-NEWS OR USE OUR SECURE ONLINE ORDER FORM LOCATED AT www.fdch.com
|Back to the top||
© 2001 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.|
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines.