How To ListenOn your computer On your mobile device Smart speakers
Explore CNNUS World Politics Business
CNN Breaking News Alert
The latest updates on breaking news and events.
- ListenChina launches historic space missionChina launched a three-person crew into space in the early hours of Saturday -- a major step for the country's young space program, which is rapidly becoming one of the world's most advanced.
The astronauts lifted off on the Shenzhou-13 spacecraft just past midnight local time.
They will dock at China's new space station, Tiangong, six and a half hours after launch. They will live and work at the station for 183 days, or just about six months -- the country's longest mission yet.Oct 15, 2021
- ListenParkland shooting suspect to plead guilty, his lawyer saysNikolas Cruz intends to plead guilty to the charges stemming from the deadly 2018 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, his attorney said Friday in court in Florida.Oct 15, 2021
- ListenPolice officer attacked by woman carrying a baseball bat near US CapitolA US Capitol Police officer was attacked on Friday morning by a woman carrying a baseball bat along First Street SW in Washington, Capitol Police said in a statement.
The incident happened around 9:30 a.m. ET.
When police approached the woman, she became agitated and raised her bat. Officers tried to take the bat from her, and during the scuffle she bit one of the officers, according to Capitol Police.Oct 15, 2021
- ListenBritish lawmaker David Amess dies after being stabbed at constituency meeting, UK media reportBritish Conservative lawmaker David Amess (Eh-mis) has died after being stabbed multiple times at a constituency meeting east of London, local media reported on Friday.
Essex police said a 25-year-old man was quickly arrested, after officers arrived at the scene on suspicion of murder and a knife was recovered.
Amess, 69, who represents Southend West in Essex, was stabbed at around midday local time, by a man who walked into a meeting with voters from his electoral district being held in a Methodist Church, a witness at the scene told Reuters.Oct 15, 2021
- ListenDozens Killed in Afghan Mosque BlastDozens of people have been killed after an explosion at a mosque in Kandahar during Friday prayers, according to the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan.
On Twitter, the UN agency said it "condemns (the) latest atrocity targeting a religious institution & worshippers.” And “those responsible need to be held to account,"
As of yet, no group has claimed responsibility.
In a statement, a Taliban spokesperson also condemned the incident, and said the perpetrators will be "brought to justice."Oct 15, 2021
- ListenReal estate heir Robert Durst is sentenced to life in prison for killing Susan BermanMillionaire real estate heir Robert Durst has been sentenced to life in prison without parole.
Durst, the subject of the HBO crime documentary "The Jinx," was found guilty last month of killing his best friend more than 20 years ago
A Los Angeles jury agreed the crime met "special circumstances" in California law, which would allow Durst to be sentenced to life without parole, for the murder of a witness to a crime, lying in wait and using a firearm in the murder. California has a moratorium on the death penalty.Oct 14, 2021
- ListenFDA advisers recommend Moderna booster for someVaccine advisers to the US Food and Drug Administration voted unanimously Thursday to recommend emergency use authorization of a booster dose of Moderna's Covid-19 vaccine.
The FDA's Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee agreed use of a booster dose would be safe and effective in some people six months out from their primary series.
Moderna had asked for emergency use authorization for a half dose of its vaccine to be used as a booster for certain people.Oct 14, 2021
- ListenJanuary 6 panel moves to hold Steve Bannon in criminal contemptThe committee investigating the January 6 Capitol Hill riot announced Thursday it is moving forward to hold Trump ally Steve Bannon in criminal contempt for refusing to comply with a subpoena, as his game of chicken with the House panel now enters a new and critical phase.
Bannon's lawyer on Wednesday wrote a letter to the panel saying that his client will not provide testimony or documents until the committee reaches an agreement with former President Donald Trump over executive privilege or a court weighs in on the matter.Oct 14, 2021
- ListenWhite House vetting former FDA Commissioner Dr. Rob Califf to once again lead agencyThe White House is in the process of vetting former Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Dr. Rob Califf to become the agency's leader once again, according to three sources familiar with the process.
For nine months, President Joe Biden has struggled to find a candidate who is both qualified and could win Senate confirmation. The White House ruled out the current acting commissioner, Dr. Janet Woodcock, after it became clear she would face steep opposition from a handful of lawmakers, including West Virginia Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin, for how liberally the FDA approved opioids when she ran the drug division within the agency.
Though Califf is seen as a final contender, a decision has not yet been made and others are also still being considered.Oct 14, 2021
- ListenBiden to have audience with Pope Francis during trip to RomePresident Joe Biden and first lady Jill Biden will meet with Pope Francis during their trip to Rome later this month for the G20 conference, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said in a statement.
"The President and Dr. Biden will also visit Vatican City and have an audience with His Holiness Pope Francis on October 29. They will discuss working together on efforts grounded in respect for fundamental human dignity, including ending the COVID-19 pandemic, tackling the climate crisis, and caring for the poor," Psaki said in a statement.Oct 14, 2021