CNN Site Map for Section Health (Galleries) for August - 2017
- 2017-08-31Caracas, seen from from the surrounding hills, sprawls out in the valley below.
- 2017-08-31Prescription and illegal opioids are commonly abused because they are so addictive.
Opioid medications bind to the areas of the brain that control pain and emotions, driving up levels of the feel-good hormone dopamine in the brain's reward areas an
- 2017-08-24Honey is low in water and high in sugar, so bacteria cannot grow on it. It also contains small amounts of hydrogen peroxide, inhibiting the growth of microbes.
- 2017-08-24Our ancestors used herbs and spices to flavor foods and soon learned that some of them seemed to improve their health. Today, science is looking more closely at those claims. Read on to find out the latest research on these historically healthy spices and
- 2017-08-18Setting an alarm might be the only thing that helps you get up in the morning, but try setting one at night to remind you when it's time to go to bed. Click through our gallery for other tips for better sleep.
- 2017-08-18Laughter is not only the best medicine, it is the most effortless way to burn calories. Chuckling through a 15-minute stand-up comedy routine can burn between 10 and 40 calories. And this feel-good activity releases a feel-good hormone called serotonin th
- 2017-08-18The Colorado Classic consisted of four days and some of the best racers in world lapping through the downtowns of three cities, starting with Colorado Springs.
- 2017-08-18Experts warn that a global health crisis is on the horizon as drugs available for once treatable diseases are losing their edge. The bacteria, viruses and parasites behind diseases such as tuberculosis, malaria and gonorrhea are fighting back by developin
- 2017-08-18Familiar with the Back to Sleep campaign to eliminate sudden infant death syndrome or SIDS, one of the leading causes of infant death? Called Safe to Sleep today, it urges parents to put babies to sleep on their backs, never on the stomach, until age 1. S
- 2017-08-18Greek and Icelandic yogurts are thicker and creamier than regular yogurt. But it's the added protein that keeps us feeling full.
- 2017-08-17After cancer, Anna Beckingham exposed her reconstructed breast for an exhibition in London this week. Here, she poses for a portrait.
- 2017-08-17The Super Bowl is one of the biggest calorie fests of the year. The average football fan eats about a day's worth of calories during the game, and the U.S. Calorie Control Council estimates that Americans pack away 11 million pounds of chips on Super
- 2017-08-17Laborers work on construction of the Soviet Union's Chernobyl nuclear power plant on July 1, 1975. The Chernobyl accident is the world's worst nuclear accident. The disaster sent a cloud of radioactive fallout over hundreds of thousands of squar
- 2017-08-10Everyone is a little guilty of bad food hygiene, and it doesn't always mean you'll get sick. But, the bacteria suggests which food habits are most risky.
Double-dipping resulted in higher levels of bacteria left over in dips in an experiment co
- 2017-08-07Cyclosporiasis: An intestinal infection caused by the cyclospora cayetanensis parasite, seen here on a stool sample through a microscope on a slide. Cyclospora infect the small intestine and most commonly cause watery diarrhea; other symptoms include abdo
- 2017-08-01At the age of 71, Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman was in a car accident that left his left hand paralyzed and triggered nerve damage.
"It's the fibromyalgia," he told Esquire magazine about the pain in his arm. "Up and down the arm