CNN Site Map for Section Travel (Galleries) for August - 2013
- 2013-08-30Jolly Beach Resort & Spa is great for those who want to get out on the turquoise water. Kayaks, Hobie Cats and paddleboats are all at the ready and there are also two pools. See more photos of the resorts at BudgetTravel.com
- 2013-08-30Thanks for following CNN's Summer in the Park series. We hope you'll consider visiting a national park, or two, on your next vacation.
- 2013-08-30Take your perch nearly 2,700 feet above the Dan River in a luxurious Primland tree house, where the natural wonders of the Blue Ridge Mountains meld with high-end creature comforts, such as a soaking tub and 400-thread count Frette sheets. At the main lod
- 2013-08-29Sossusvlei significa "lugar de acopio del agua", pero debes traer tu propia agua si no quieres deshidratarte aquí, en la atracción más increíble de Namibia.
- 2013-08-29The La Tomatina tomato-throwing festival kicked off yesterday in the Spanish town of Buñol. Around 20,000 people from around the world gathered for the festival's signature event: a one-hour fruit battle, staring mid-morning, during which -- this yea
- 2013-08-28It's more than U.S. government red tape. That tag made of the world's most indestructible paper is a product of the 1800s, when less-than-scrupulous business people were stuffing their pillows and mattresses with old hospital blankets that might
- 2013-08-27No necesitas ser un propietario de un yate para navegar hacia la puesta del sol. CNN te muestra cinco formas de viajar por el mundo sin gastar un centavo.
- 2013-08-27Welcome to the Grand Prix of Baltimore, an event held from Friday to Sunday, where you can see sports cars tear their way through the 12-turn, two-mile track along Baltimore's harbor at speeds of up to 180 miles per hour.
- 2013-08-27The dedication of the Martin Luther King Jr. National Memorial on Sunday, October 16, 2011 added another impressive monument to the tourist trail in Washington. The site features a 30-foot statue of the late civil rights leader gazing out on the Tidal Bas
- 2013-08-26The largest privately owned residence in the United States has 250 rooms, 43 bathrooms, 65 fireplaces, three kitchens and, in case any French diplomats drop by, Napoleon's old chess set.
- 2013-08-26The beaches on Bijindo, South Korea, are this beautiful and this empty most days of the year.
- 2013-08-26You don't have to be a wealthy yacht owner to sail into the sunset. CNN takes a look at five ways to travel the globe for free.
- 2013-08-23Who says a boardwalk has to be by the ocean? Chicago's Navy Pier is on Lake Michigan.
- 2013-08-23The latest design by Spanish architecture firm OOIIO resembles a massive photo frame.
- 2013-08-22Arches National Park is home to the world's highest concentration of natural sandstone arches. Be sure to check back next week for the Summer in the Park series finale: Everglades National Park.
- 2013-08-22The busy fishing harbor at the foot of Elmina Castle.
- 2013-08-20Sleeping Bear occupies 35 miles on Lake Michigan's eastern coastline and is home to hiking trails, museums, an 1871 lighthouse and a historic farm district.
- 2013-08-20The Garífuna village of Hopkins has a near five-mile stretch of sand, with few people in sight at any one time. No vendors and no noise, aside from the sound of distant drums.
- 2013-08-20Sloths live most of their life in the trees -- mating, birthing and even dying up there.
- 2013-08-19Inaugurado en 1887, este enorme hotel de estilo Reina Ana ha permanecido sin cambios desde sus primeros años en que los agentes de Edison Phonograph realizaban demostraciones y Mark Twain charlaba en su casino.
- 2013-08-19Los perros se hospedan sin costo y están cerca del Canine Court, el único campo de juegos para perros en Manhattan.
- 2013-08-19This 115-room Ritz-Carlton Caribbean retreat won Best Achievement in Design
- 2013-08-19The Olduvai stone chopping tool would have got through a lot of vegetables had it been in continuous use for the 2 million years since it was carved and eventually ended up in the British Museum.
- 2013-08-19Doug Laming uses a Cointreau Caviar Spherification kit to create "pearls" of alcohol that burst in the mouth.
- 2013-08-16Award-winning Nigerian author Chibundu Onuzo visited Accra, the vibrant capital of Ghana. Here, traders ply their wares at Makola Market, the city's main market and shopping district.
- 2013-08-16Santorini is a shutterbug's dream: sheer rock faces striated in multitudinous shades, villages and towns clinging to the tops of cliffs, the caldera filled with clear deep turquoise water and home to the occasional cruise liner that against the soari
- 2013-08-16Michael Dettlaff, de 12 años, encontró este diamante de 5,16 quilates de color miel a sólo 10 minutos en el Parque Estatal Cráter de Diamante de Arkansas.
- 2013-08-15Opened in 1887, the massive Queen Anne-style hotel has remained largely unchanged since the years when Mark Twain lectured in the casino. At 660 feet, its front porch is said to be the longest in the world.
- 2013-08-14Boy Scout Michael Dettlaff, 12, found this 5.16-carat honey-brown diamond just 10 minutes into his search at Arkansas' Crater of Diamonds State Park.
- 2013-08-13Few activities offer the feeling of freedom, speed and adventure than a long trip on a motorcycle. Here are some of the top views to be had while biking the world.
- 2013-08-12Aquatica revels in its animal habitats. The lazy river snakes through a flamingo enclosure and the wave pool borders a freshwater turtle habitat.
Opened: June 2013.
- 2013-08-12About 1,800 castle-like towers dot the landscape around Kaiping, a Chinese city near Guangzhou in the Pearl River Delta. Some of the towers date to the Ming dynasty. Others were constructed in the early 20th century and bear obvious Western influences.
- 2013-08-12Además de las atracciones acuáticas que hacen dar vuelcos al corazón, tiene varios hábitats de animales: desde serpientes de río hasta un recinto para flamencos; la piscina de olas está al lado del hábitat para tortugas de agua dulce.
- 2013-08-12The 1974 test launch of a Minuteman intercontinental ballistic missile from a C-5 cargo jet nicknamed Zero-One-Four was unprecedented. The Minuteman was designed to be launched from an underground silo, not an airplane.
- 2013-08-09Beer is a big deal in North Korea. Taedonggang Beer is one of the best-known local beers. In 2000 the state-run brewery bought up an entire British brewery, shipped it to North Korea and two years later opened for business just outside Pyongyang.
- 2013-08-09As record temperatures hit China, an Ikea store in Beijing has seen a surge in interest from citizens looking for air-conditioning, comfortable sofas and a good nap.
Shanghai experienced its hottest July in 140 years with temperatures as high as 40.8 C.
- 2013-08-09AMC's hit show "Breaking Bad" has generated some intriguing tourism-related business opportunities in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- 2013-08-09A raíz de las altas temperaturas que afectan a China, una tienda de Ikea en Beijing ha visto un incremento del interés de los ciudadanos que buscan aire acondicionado, sofás cómodos y una buena siesta. Shanghai tuvo su mes de julio más caluroso en 140 año
- 2013-08-09Known as "poshstock," especially after Eton-educated British PM David Cameron attended this year, Cornbury calls itself a "homespun melting pot where music-lovers share pies and a glass of champagne with superstars, toffs [and] rockers.&quo
- 2013-08-09La cerveza es cosa seria en Corea del Norte y Taedonggang es una de las marcas locales más conocidas. En el año 2000 la cervecería estatal adquirió una destilería británica, la trasladó a Corea del Norte y dos años después abrió su negocio en las afueras
- 2013-08-08That rainbow-themed backdrop consists of thousands of people holding up different boards. This year they flashed messages of peace and friendship, as well as the rainbow between Pyongyang's Arch of Triumph and Beijing's Tiananmen Square Gate, wh
- 2013-08-08Washington's Olympic Peninsula is home to one of the most diverse national parks. Check in next week for Yellowstone National Park.
- 2013-08-08The winners of the 2013 National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest have been released, along with their beautiful photos. The winning images will appear in the December 2013/January 2014 issue of National Geographic Traveler magazine. Until then, you can
- 2013-08-08That rainbow-themed backdrop consists of thousands of "human pixels" -- people holding up different boards to create the various images you see in this gallery. This year they flashed messages of peace and friendship, as well as the rainbow betw
- 2013-08-085. Charleston, South Carolina
The only U.S. city that made it into the top 10 friendliest cities. Charleston took first place in a previous poll to find the friendliest cities in the United States.
- 2013-08-08It's shiny and it is from CNN. So is that where my compact went? These are just some of the more unusual gifts to North Korea's leaders from various visiting dignitaries that are on show at the International Friendship Exhibition House. This, an
- 2013-08-07This Czech beach may be 103 this year, but it doesn't feel old, with all manner of activities including volleyball and petanque. There's a nudist section, too.
- 2013-08-07Las aguas de la Isla del Coco, Costa Rica, son hogar de los tiburones martillo
- 2013-08-07La barra de la Business Class es una de las secciones del Airbus A380 exploradas por Google a través de Street View
- 2013-08-07El regalo que el expresidente de Estados Unidos, Jimmy Carter, dio a Kim Jong Il en 1994, podría haber tenido otra vida como cenicero gigante.
- 2013-08-07Ten private sleeper cabins take up the rear of the Airbus A319.
- 2013-08-07The Gulfstream G650's nearly supersonic speed, ultralong range and fancy amenities have got aviation enthusiasts stoked. Celebrities are taking notice, too. Click through this gallery to see planes linked to celebrities.
- 2013-08-06The Royal Standard flies from the turrets of Balmoral Castle in Ballater, Scotland, when the Queen is in residence. Cottages on Balmoral Estate are available for rent to regular vacationers.
- 2013-08-06Height: 437 meters.
Cost to build: $41 million.
Completion date: May 1, 1931.
Fast fact: The Empire State Building took only one year and 45 days to build, or 7 million man hours -- a record to this day for a skyscraper of its height. Its glory days are
- 2013-08-05The Santa Monica Pier Ferris wheel is the first solar powered Ferris wheel in the world. With 160,000 energy efficient lights, nighttime rides feature lights illuminating the western end of Route 66.
- 2013-08-05Google Street View explored an Emirates Airbus A380 from nose to tail. Here the Business Class bar at the back of the plane appears well stocked for its next flight.
- 2013-08-05Located in Hong Kong's pulsing Tsim Sha Tsui district, Chungking Mansions inspires a unique fascination among visitors. Though it has a reputation for crime and disorder, the 17-story structure is home to merchants, traders, visitors and refugees fro
- 2013-08-05The first passengers sailed the skies in the Airship Paris zeppelin's inaugural commercial flight on Sunday. The craft is about the size of an A380 superjumbo jet, but flies, 900 meters up, at a stately maximum speed of 90 kilometers per hour. Passen
- 2013-08-05This Thai-themed water park offers surf lessons in the wave pool, which is capable of creating waves up to nine feet (three meters) high.
- 2013-08-03There's no faster way to become embittered with the locals than going toe-to-toe with hungry shopkeepers. Do you really need to whittle 50 cents off that embroidered handbag?
- 2013-08-02Pilot Sean Bautista helped "Planes" filmmakers invent a storyline that allows the character Dusty, shown here, increase his speed. Dane Cook provides Dusty's voice in the movie. A lot of the planes in the film, Bautista says, intentionally
- 2013-08-02An airport that never really got off the ground, Ciudad Real is 150 miles from Spain's capital, Madrid, and closed after only three years of operations in 2012.
- 2013-08-02Para llegar al antiguo refugio alpino de Hitler en Baviera hay que subir 124 metros por un elevador que se instaló dentro de la montaña.
- 2013-08-01Three-day instruction packages with ex-Tiger Woods coach Butch Harmon includes nine-hole and 18-hole lessons, video swing analysis and four nights at Caesars Palace on the Vegas Strip.
- 2013-08-01Cape Hatteras National Seashore offers beautiful beaches, of course, but much more. Stop by next week for Olympic National Park.