CNN Site Map for Section Africa (Galleries) for August - 2013
- 2013-08-30Artlantique is a company transforming old fishing boats from Senegal into hand-made furniture sold internationally.
- 2013-08-28DR Congo may be known for conflict minerals and proxy wars, but it is also a country with rich ancient traditions, a colourful cultural energy and amazing potential, says Vava Tampa. Its natural wonders include Virunga National Park.
- 2013-08-21"Of Good Report" is a film noir by South African director Jahmil X.T. Qubeka. It was one of the most talked-about movies at last month's Durban International Film Festival.
- 2013-08-15The Malawi Mouse Boys is an eight-member band that was discovered by Grammy-winning American record producer Ian Brennan. Last year, they released their first album, titled "He is #1."
- 2013-08-14Fatoumata Diawara is a Malian singer hailed as one of the most exciting voices to come out of Mali in recent years.
- 2013-08-09South African photographer Dillon Marsh traveled around Cape Town searching for trees with an ulterior motive. Cell phone towers disguised as trees have popped up all around South Africa. Marsh states on his website that his project "Invasive Species
- 2013-08-08The African Children's Choir is composed of children aged seven to 10, from various African countries. Currently touring the United States, the choir is the subject of new documentary film "Imba Means Sing,"
- 2013-08-07Firefighters try to control a blaze at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi, Kenya, on Wednesday, August 7. Fire engulfed the airport's entire international terminal, but no casualties were reported. Domestic flights have resumed, and s
- 2013-08-06Fartuun Adan is a champion for women's rights and the co-founder of Sister Somalia, the East African country's first rape and crisis center.
- 2013-08-05Africa Fashion Week London took place in the UK capital last weekend, hosting the creations of 65 designers from across the continent and the diaspora.
- 2013-08-05In April a team of scientists embarked on the first comprehensive biodiversity study in Gorongosa National Park, Mozambique. Pictured is the "Chewbacca bat" (Triaenops persicus) -- which was given its nickname because of its resemblance to the S
- 2013-08-02Peace Anyiam-Osigwe is the CEO and founder of the Africa Movie Academy Awards. Here, she picks the best African movies of the 21st century.
Pictured, a scene from Kenyan movie From a Whisper.
- 2013-08-02The faces of both Mahatma Gandhi and Archbishop Desmond Tutu have graced the longboards built by South African Kent Lingeveldt.
- 2013-08-01Nelson Mandela's daughter Makaziwe Mandela, and her daughter Tukwini Mandela, show off their House of Mandela wine range.