CNN Site Map for Section Africa (Galleries) for May - 2017
- 2017-05-30Waves break over coral reef off the coast of Mahe, the largest island of the Seychelles.
The archipelago is among the African states with abundant, relatively untapped marine resources.
- 2017-05-29Zambian-Welsh director Rungano Nyoni takes on witchcraft accusations in the country of her birth with a satire revolving around the plight of nine-year-old Shula, played by newcomer Maggie Mulubwa.
- 2017-05-26Alek Wek is a South Sudanese-British model and designer who began her fashion career at the age of 18 in 1995.
- 2017-05-25Ready-to-wear label Fashpa (an abbreviation of Fashion Parade), sells pieces online that are made exclusively in Lagos.
- 2017-05-25Somali pirates carrying out preparations to a skiff boat used to attack ships. A spate of hijackings in the High Risk Area (HRA) off the Somali coast has raised alarm after a period of calm.
- 2017-05-23The majority of Lagos residents rely on the informal sector comprised of wells, boreholes, rivers and rain water to access water.
- 2017-05-22The 84th edition of the Eyo Festival took place on Saturday at Tafawa Balewa Square in Lagos.
- 2017-05-18Children sit next to a bucket filled with fish on the shores of Lake Tanganyika in Uvira, Democratic Republic of Congo. One of Africa's Great Lakes, Tanganyika is the second largest in the continent, behind Lake Victoria. Bordering the DRC, Tanzania,
- 2017-05-16A mutinous soldier poses with a weapon in the streets of Ivory Coast's central second city Bouake during a four day uprising over unpaid bonus payments.
Gunfire has been reported in several major cities after soldiers took to the streets.
- 2017-05-12For the first time in history Nigeria has it's own pavilion at the Venice Biennale.
- 2017-05-05Mauritius has the highest wealth per capita in Africa, the fastest growing wealth per capita, and the fastest growing population of millionaires, according to a new report from the AfrAsia Bank.
- 2017-05-04Fashion bloggers Hermon, left, and Heroda Berhane both mysteriously went deaf at the same time when they were 7. They grew up in Eritrea, but their family later moved to the UK.
- 2017-05-03A rusted cannon on the beach of Kunta Kinteh Island, formerly James Island, in the Gambia River.
The island was a longtime hub of the Atlantic slave trade, and famous rebel slave Kunta Kinte was once held there.
- 2017-05-01Mudua Scovia, 22, at a health center in Sironko District, Uganda. A widower with five children, Mudua receives contraception from Marie Stopes Uganda.